If you have Open Office 3.01 or 3.1 installed under XP32, try this:
- Put a txt file on the desktop, eg test.txt
- Run notepad and select file-open
- Browse to the desktop. Hover over the TXT file to get a tooltip
- Cancel the file open then select file-open again
- Browse to desktop if needed, then hover over the TXT file again
- Surprise! NOTEPAD disappears without a trace!
I spent the weekend tracing the source of this behaviour after it was noticed in Planimate®. Thought it was a bad Windows Update or worse, pwnage. After a lot of hunting in lots of VMs, I traced the culprit: Open Office 3.
Looking closer, I found OOo installs a shell extension (probably to give context tips on its
own files) which is breaking the standard open file dialog for other apps. You can uninstall it using the following procedure:
- open CMD prompt
- cd “\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\Basis\program\shlxthdl”
(there should be shlxthdl.dll in there)
- regsvr32 -u shlxthdl.dll
(dialog should appear confirming deregistration of the extension)
The desktop should be safe to use again.
I’ve opened an issue with Open Office Org here: