Apple //e Mouse Card Fix

My Apple //e mouse card was not being detected, and looking at its ROM (at $C400 when in slot 4), there was clearly a problem, the top 2 bits were random whereas the bottom 6 matched a ROM dump (apple2.org.za is a great resource).

I suspected a bad PROM, a common problem in equipment of this era. I arranged a replacement, a 2716 EPROM is compatible and Stephen from http://www.hobbyroms.com promptly burnt one and posted it to me.

Unfortunately it did not fix the card. Looking more closely at the hex dump, I realised the top 2 bits were being flipped to one OR zero, whereas bits in an aged PROM usually revert to 1 (confirmed by Stephen).

This didn’t leave much to fail, the card was being properly addressed for 6 of 8 bits to be working and continuity for all the data lines was good.

The one possible culprit was a 74LS245 bus transceiver, and of course it was the odd chip that wasn’t socketted.

Desoldering it from a double sided board with plated through holes was very tedious (big thanks to Oak given my vision). I took the approach of cutting the chip off first then working on each leg individually from both sides of the board. I cant say I recommend this, I was really worried given the through holes and fine tracks on the component side, but it measured intact after the holes were cleared.

The chip was replaced with a 20 pin socket and, thankfully, each pin had good continuity to its destination, no wirewrap wire hacks needed.

With a chip installed, the card has come good, I’ve left the new EPROM in there too.